Friday, September 21, 2012

Working with the School, Part 1

Today, my mom, and an advocate went and talked to the principal of my high school, as well as the guidance counselor, about my coming out later in the school year. Well, their reaction was better than anyone could have hoped for: whole-hearted, enthusiastic support. Definitely the best-case scenario. So good, in fact, that they are bringing in an educator, so that all the teachers/staff at the high school (possibly the whole district) know how to deal with a trans* student (like me!). So, around my birthday (when I start Estrogen!!), the training seminar will commence.

About the time winter break ends is probably when I will come out to the school, quite possibly the day everyone gets back. More than likely, I will write a letter that the teachers I have this year will read to my classes on that day, and I will be gone (hopefully be able to arrange it), possibly shopping. So, basically, I get to start the new year as Jennifer! though I haven't started the letter thingy yet, I'm probably going to basically state my situation and what I plan to do, in a way that the average high schooler will understand it (easier said than done). Granted, I am getting some advice to come out to some of the students before the big reveal, but... I'm not really comfortable with that, and I'm gonna go with what my gut says. Even better, I guess, is that we (me and mom) are going to see my psych pretty soon, as a sort of catching-up meeting, and asking for some advice.

Even better than all this (well, not all of it...) is that I can get my picture retaken for the yearbook!! i.e. the yearbook will have a picture of my female face, and my female name by it's side (as well as a new school ID card)!!!!

Well, I may seem pretty excited right now (believe me, I felt like I've been walking on cloud after cloud this past couple of weeks), but I am dead tired. I'm typing this up at 10:15 at night or so, on a Friday, after having company over for dinner. And believe me, my bed and I are going to, um... Well, let's just say we haven't seen each other in a while, and I need some cuddling (yeah, I know, terrible analogy, but hey, I'm exhausted, give me a break!). So... Good night, I guess. Zzzzz....

No comments:

Post a Comment