Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hormones and Meds

Well, since today is my five month anniversary of taking spironolactone, I feel the need to make a post about hormone medication. Keep in mind, since i am a trans girl, I will only be talking about the hormones that are taken by trans women.

First of all, this spironolactone I just mentioned, is a mild testosterone blocker, though it is mainly used, for "normal" people, to control blood pressure, and, in women, to control bodily hair growth. As for us trans folk, like I said, it is a mild T blocker, though is used in stopping any new bodily and/or facial hair growth. Which is particularly useful in use teenagers. I might have a full beard by now if it weren't for this stuff. Another T blocker (I think the only other T blocker) is finasteride. It is not as mild as spiro, but I've been on it for close to a month, and haven't noticed any changes yet. Now, for the big hormone: estrogen. Which, as you might have guessed (if you have taken a sex-ed class) is the main active hormone in women. Granted, all men have some E too, but nowhere near as much as their counterpart. Along with E, comes yet another: progesterone, which helps with fat distribution, along with breast growth.

These hormones can be taken by mouth, through a skin patch, or injected, and are generally used by a trans woman who decides that she must take hormones to transition and pass better. Currently, I am only on spiro and finasteride, mainly due to the fact that, to start E and such while under 18, you need parental consent from BOTH parents. Which I am having trouble with. But that's an entirely different post. In the meantime, I guess I will just have to do without, and try to live my life happily ever after. Well, until next post, I will be seeing you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment